Monday, March 5, 2007

Starved Rock

I'm from Wisconsin, and I'll admit to having a Dairy State snobbery about scenic beauty. I thought Illinois was just cornfields, and falt ones at that. Some place I could safely pass through on my way to hiking and camping up north.
well, I was wrong. About 90 miles west of Chicago, Starved Rock State Park is an oasis of beauty on Illinois river. There are many canyons you can hike into, boasting waterfalls that freeze in the winter. There is also a lodge that will welcome you with a roaring fire after to warm you up after your winter hikes.
Noel and I hiked into the canyons back in January. Sure winter hiking requires a little more bundling, but the rewards are many. The scenery is often more beautiful in a stark way, and you don't have to share.
I captured this serene scene.

2 comments:

Noel Clark said...

Does anyone know the difference between a red oak and a white oak? It's important to know the difference in the wild places of Illinois...

weeziner said...

Very beautiful. It's good to be open to the different kinds of beauty out there. Even corn fields!

sincerely,
The Husker